Bishop O’Dowd’s Center for Environmental Studies (CES) Building
Congratulations to the Pankow team of Jim Coyle, Marielle Price and Allan Wallis for their work on Bishop O’Dowd’s Center for Environmental Studies (CES) Building. It recently received an Award of Merit in ENR’s 2014 Best Projects California Regional Competition in the Small Project (under $10 million) category. Through a participatory process with the school community, the CES, which is currently undergoing LEED Platinum Certification, was designed as a flexible indoor/outdoor learning environment and a tool for teaching sustainability. The state-of-the-art, multi-use building includes laboratory classroom spaces that expand onto a generous outdoor patio with stunning views of the San Francisco Bay.
The Center for Environmental Studies features:
- Two large flexible laboratory classrooms with ample space for study, experimentation, research, and gatherings.
- Covered outdoor classroom patio.
- Preparation and office space.
The project’s sustainable features include:
- 11.5 kW photovoltaic array.
- Rainwater captures system for flushing toilets.
- Roof-mounted weather station.
- Real-time display of building performance (including resource use, power generation, water capture and indoor temperature) and weather conditions.